Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Sound of A Yowling Cat

So, here's a little secret: EDubbz is a musician. She's also from Texas, but here's the best part...SHE SINGS WITH A BRITISH ACCENT. It's fucking crazy! I would totally put a link up, but she'd kill me, and I will see her tomorrow, so yeah. Anyway, why am I bringing this up? Because last night, I went with a friend to see an acoustic set of a few up-and-coming musicians. I had high expectations because she is an A&R person at Geffen, and you know...

Well. I was wrong. First of all, the guy who we happened to hear as we were walking in the venue was EDubbz opposite: he is British but I guess the spirit of Eddie Vedder (during the red wine glugging days) crossed with a bad recording of Robert Johnson enters his body the minute he starts warbling. He warbled about 80% of the time and then assaulted our eardrums 10% of the time with some really questionable falsetto runs that...WOW. Brutal. Garage doors probably opened around the club. And the last 10% would be him yammering on in his charming British accent about squirrels (or maybe he was saying "squirrely"?). Anyway, I'm not sure if I'm just too old for this shit, I've lost touch with what's popular, or maybe I just can't recognize great music because all these people came up to him after the set and demanded autographs and photos. My friend looked at me and winced and said, "Is it because he's hot?" To which I responded, "It's the accent. It has to be."

To be fair, I think it takes a lot of guts to get up on a stage and lay your work out for all to hear with guns blazing. So kudos to that guy for having the nuts to do it. But uh, leave the falsettos to the yowling cats and Mariah Carey. Please?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home